Universal Credit

Universal Credit has now come into force across most of Tower Hamlets, including nearly all of EastendHomes properties. All tenants of working age will be included within the Universal Credit system if you make a new claim or have a change of circumstances affecting an existing payment.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment which combines a number of welfare payments, including any Housing Benefit you may receive.

See below for our Frequently Asked Questions on what moving to Universal Credit may mean for you.

What welfare payments are included in Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a monthly payment which will replace any of the following you currently receive:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can find out more about Universal Credit on the Government website: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit 

What do I need to do?

If you need to make a claim for Universal Credit, you will need to:

  • Have a bank account into which payment can be made.
  • Manage your claim online - the Job Centre may provide assistance with this.
  • If you are a couple, think about who will be receiving the payment.
  • Make plans to continue to pay your rent and other bills. There is likely to be a delay of around 6-8 weeks before you receive your first payment.

In most cases, the element of Universal Credit which replaces your Housing Benefit will now be paid directly to you rather than to EastendHomes. You should think about how you will be making your rent payments to EastendHomes. For information on payment methods, such as setting up a Direct Debit, see how to pay rent or contact our Rents Team.

Where can I find more information?

For more details of how you may be affected by Universal Credit, you can use the Government's benefits calculator.   

For more information about Universal Credit in general, see the national Universal Credit website.

EastendHomes can make a referral to our independent welfare adviser from the Bromley by Bow Centre to help you with your claim. To arrange an appointment, contact your Local Housing Centre or the Rents Team.